25.6.06

i'm so caught up.


This is not a post about usher.

yeah, yeah, sure, close the browser, surf elsewhere.

I believe that I've been experiencing SOCIAL CULTURE SHOCK.

It's true, it's true, lemme explain. In Lethbridge, I had a few friends. Not just a few close friends, and then a larger network, but just a few friends. These friends are rad, and I enjoyed hours upon wonderful hours in their company, but it made for a fairly uncomplicated social life.

Where am I going to hang out? Oh, @ andrew's with the girls.
Where am I going tonight? Oh, to the girls'.
Where are we going tomorrow? Oh, to mma's, house. Rad.

I knew some other people through school, and we hung out sometimes, and some people through other churches, but I mostly was with my roomies, or "the dames". So like...15 people, let's say, on regular rotation in my social calendar.

FLASH FORWARD TO VANCOUVER -- I'm going crazy. Way overbooking myself, trying to stretch into 5 cities, including Victoria...meanwhile, pretty much ditching my family all the time, because I suck at scheduling hang out time with the people I live with...

Here I've got the North Van crew, Pat in Burnaby (who I still haven't seen), Leah & Nate in E.Van, Darcy who is hard to get hold of, mybestfriends Mikael, Zoe, Jessica, beloved Katrina, asap crew, girls' group on Monday nights, Richmond boys, Tsawassen Jeff (going to anvil), Keats crew (already gone!), Jenny B (going to Europe)...ahhhh!!!!!!! Nevermind random school friends, surprise good friends in Victoria, Dave & Anna briefly here while travelling around the world..Malcolm, who I'm sure still exists in the flesh, but I can't guarantee it..

It's madness, friends, madness.

And in the midst of trying to stretch myself and see everyone, and HAVE QUALITY TIME NOW, I work full time, I'm poor because of gas and VISA, I just want to stay home and read, get up early and rundrinkteareadbible, going to anvil in a couple weeks, harsh need to call my co-counsellor, and our campers...

I need to slow down, but I'm afraid to. Lethbridge return is looming, which is great but deafening and I don't know how much my heart can handle it.

No comments: