16.9.06

wisdom of the bean.

the way I see it #148

"Great teachers should be paid like doctors of corporate attorneys. I worry about what will happen to our economy and our democracy if we don't start to take teachers' jobs seriously."

- Ninive Clements Calegari, author.

And then Starbucks adds a disclaimer, "This is the author's opinion, not necessarily that or Starbucks."

*sighs*

I've noticed recently just how much we communicate by mass media, including (apparently) an innocent coffee cup. On the bus, there are signs instructing riders not to eat or drink, listen to loud music, not to engage the bus driver in lengthy conversations...not to swear, or talk loudly, or irritate other riders....

Maybe it's because I'm taking sociology, but I got thinking about what a bizarre society we live in. We're expected to be socialized by the internet, and signage, even when addressing issues of human-to-human contact...

Maybe I'll research that sometime.

No comments: