22.4.06

i know i will get up before 7am at least once this month.





April 30, when I drive home.

But today, I woke up @ about 10.40am. Naturally, I reached over and turned on my radio, to listen to the Saturday morning CBC Radio 2 set...The Vinyl Cafe and I Hear Music.

SO good.

This morning on I Hear Music, we are exploring the music of Hoagy Carmichael, who wrote The Nearness of You, Skylark, and I Get Along Without You Very Well (just a few of my favourites, and also the only ones I know the titles of).

Actually, those three would be a nice little set for a recital. They're all three quite slow, but...beautiful.

I felt pretty jazz savvy though -- Chet Baker's version of I Get Along... is the "definitive" version, according to the radio guy, and I AGREE! I listen to that song at least a dozen times whenever I decide to listen to my Chet Baker album on this here computer.

Yeah.

Jazz Savvy.

So many doubles of obscure letters.

Radio guy said that to get a Carmichael song, the singer needs a vision and an ear for the structure of the entire song. Yeah. I could do that.

No comments: