20.2.07

big apples, antique toys, and a tall green lady.

!!!!
MY DAY AS A NEW YORK TOURIST...

We took the ferry to Ellis Island/the Statue of Liberty.
$11.50 for a ferry ride out to a famous statue -- not bad hey?

It was incredible to be out on the ocean...ooooh gaaaaaad. Home.

We saw a funny older middle easter man with a nice round pot belly, posing in front of the statue of liberty like an army general.
Very funny.

[Tony now has a...totally believable "nu yo-urk" accent...(teeheeehee)].

We had this really rad starbucks time in midtown (so on 57th and seventh or so). Rather than being rushed and in line, it was totally the westside (vancouver) starbucks experience. Super chill, the barista takes your name, quiet, relaxed, jazz music playing in the background...Mmm. It was beautiful. If I live here, I totally need to find those quiet places. Well, there's probably a lot of them, just not really in midtown.

Sorry about the scattered-ness of all these new york posts. I'm just kind of in a daze here -- trying to experience every moment, but every moment has so many things I could do, so many possibilities...multiphrenia (for all you sociology geeks out there....ok, so there might not be any of you...).

Ok, what else. We hit up this music store over by Carnegie hall, and I bought a Cornelius Reid book (Psyche and Soma), and tony bought a set of Ginistera (sp?) songs for me to sing @ my grad recital.

We ate dinner @ Whole Foods (like Capers, but SO MUCH BETTER!!!!)

We took a lot of pictures. (woot!)

We saw some hot young black men dancing (the positive brothers).

I totally found the train we wanted to take home. And we finally caught the Express train (rather than the "milk run" -- stopping every 6-10 blocks, which is a lot when you're trying to get from 42nd to 172nd).

We went to Apple NYC -- a big glass box with a huge apple hanging above the door -- it's all underground, but with the world's biggest skylight...it was unreal. And so CONSUME! Do I really want an ipod?

We went to FAO Schwartz -- ENORMOUS TOY STORE. I was pretty excited. Tony felt like a pedophile (I guess he's too old to be super excited about toys, and doesn't really have any children to be excited about toys for).

We bought more cheap scarves (thank you street vendors).

I'm going to head to the MET store, and then to Sal & Carmine's pizza -- I might swing through time square, although that's a little (ok, a lot) further away than anywhere else I need to go.

So...today was fun. Lots of walking and running around Manhattan, seeing sights, smelling smells, talking about Cornelius, and singing, and what it will be like when I move here.

I have a lesson tomorrow, and then a marathon over to the airport...total "melinda" style -- why play it safe when the edge provides such a good view?

3 comments:

XOXO CAT TACOS said...

GAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!awesome

Anonymous said...

Hey D.J. Meli Mel!

I had no idea you were in New York.
Very cool.
My girlfriend's sister is moving there. So, if you move there too, we can visit you when we visit her!

I like that you've been hanging out in Apple stores. I just bought an iMac, and a 30 gig iPod.
Yippee!

Roger

Melinda said...

yeah.
i figured it was time for nyc to discover me.
:)

i'd be so excited if you visited me.

funny, because it's so much further than lethbridge...

;)