19.2.07

newyork, newyork, newyork...trains, planes, and cheap metropasses!




bus(metro)pass in nyc: $41/30 days/unlimited.
bus pass in lethbridge: $48.50 (student)/month.

!!!!!

Today, Tony and I headed out to starbucks (seriously...every morning this guy, with the coffee, oi), and then Tony went on to Cornelius Reid's apartment(ahhh!!!!!), and I headed downtown, bounded for Carnegie Hall. I had free tickets to a rehearsal of L'Arlesienne(no, that's not it, I'll look that up, anyway), which is a lyric opera, presented (at least this time) in concert style.



Carnegie Hall...@ 57th and 7th Ave, I believe...and next to THE Russian Tea room...anyway, I got to enter through the stage door (a picture of what is yet to come? OH YES!!!), and in I went. Pretty much all the other audience members were over 65, but that's cool. The theatre was freakin' FREEZING, so I only stayed for 2 acts worth of rehearsals. The soprano didn't stun me, actually, no one did, but the tenor was pretty ok. Anyway, it was exciting to be there, just BE there. Carnegie Hall!! ah!

Everything here is so "famous" to me -- the street names (fifth ave, west end ave, broadway [BROADWAY!!!]), the places (trump tower, tiffany's, time squares, the Seinfeld restaurant)-- all of it, all of it is famous. AH!



It's strange too, (but OH SO wonderful) to be back in a big city. Weird going from Lethbridge to New York (I think it would be easier to go from Vancouver to New York, but alas), because Lethbridge is so small, and such a small city -- a very small city attitude about it...anyway, comparatively, New York is incredible, and really, there is no comparison. Ahhh...so much to say, so much to say, so much to say, so much to say...

Ok, after Carnegie Hall, I hit up 5th Ave, for lots of stores that I will never shop in (when there are no price tags...), but lots of $5 Pashmina scarves, $10 wool scarves, $20 "couture" pashmina scarves...holla!!!

5th Ave, then I got a hot dog (pronounced: hawt dawg), and subway'd myself over to the westend home of Mr.Cornelius L. Reid -- vocal pedagogue to the (future) stars.

That lesson...will be a post of its own...

After that, we were off to the METROPOLITAN OPERA, for Simon Bocanegra (Verdi)...I think that will be its own post too, with pictures.



sweet.

Pizza, home, blogging...



I don't really know what to tell you...this is all too unreal and fantastic for me RIGHT NOW.

The best part is...I'm living with 2 cats, sleeping under a down (feather) blanket, and yet -- NO ALLERGIC REACTION.

Go my immune system, go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linna!!
That's sounds so amazing!
I so wish I was with you right now.
Be safe and see you in 2 days!
Love, Dee

Melinda said...

yaaay!

it is so fun.

i think i might move here and study with cornelius (provided he is still teaching) when i grad next year.

seriously.

i think this is my city.