2.9.04

Rejoice in the Lord, always, and again, I say, Rejoice.

Interesting conversation with the manager @ work today. Ended with her being like, "I can't handle this conversation right now, I have to go!"
We were talking about religion, and whether or not truth and salvation can be relative. ie, Jesus is the right decision for me, but buddha is the right decision for someone else.
So, she ends it by walking out the door going, "If someone decides not to believe in Jesus, then they've made the right decision for their life."

Now...there's not much I can do to reply to that. Especially when the speaker is gone. But, I did continue to think about it, and came to the conclusion that relative truth is such a huge crock. It's not hard to find a situation where it all falls apart. Slavery. Rape. Murder. War, with all its complexities. Theft. Even religions which require the submission of women, by force when necessary, are enough to raise the fists of any laid back believer in relativity. How about child molestation? Destroying the life of a child is okay, because the perpetrator feels like it was the right thing to do?

I know those things are different from religious beliefs, but just hold on. It's all very trendy to be into yoga and new-age stuff over here, but have you ever seen a country, a people, or just a person who is completely under the opression of evil? All of a sudden, the worship of which/whatever god/goddess strikes your fancy just isn't cool anymore.

Argh.

So much discussion pent up in my chest right now. And it bothers me when discussions turn to challenges, which I suppose isn't all that different from what I've just written. "Well, what about this!? Huh!? Don't you think this? and this? and this?..."
It's also in the attitude though.

Hmm.

I guess the other thing is this: don't assume that just because I'm a christian that I suddenly have all the answers. Truth be told...I don't.

onelove.

No comments: