17.4.04

Driving home thoughts, part 1.

I was thinking as I drove home today...and here are some of those thoughts.

I communicate a lot through physical touch/contact. Be it hand-holding, or hugging, or linking arms, or just putting my hand on someone's arm while I'm talking to them...One way I communicate is by touch.

It can also be called a "love language". Those are ways in which you receive, and usually give, love. I think there are four or six all together...six, probably. My primary ones are physical touch, words (so things that are said or written), quality time, and gifts.

Touch is so important to me though. It's a huge part of how I communicate. When I first meet a group of people, like when I started school this year, and I don't yet have friends who I know well enough to hug, I feel SO lonely. I mean, in the most comfortable of situations, I have friends who I can totally walk up to and hug, or snuggle with for few minutes...meh, it's just how I work.

But tonight, for example...no hugs. I was with a friend of mine...we go to concerts together and hang out and stuff like that...but he's totally different, as far as I can tell, in terms of touch. When I'm just with him, I totally feel strange...like I have to hold back those natural tendencies to make physical contact.

I started thinking about all this after he got out of my car...and that was it. Just..."bye". Totally like hearing all of a beautiful song...except the closing note. The experience has been awesome, but suddenly.....

you feel unsettled.

I feel unsettled.

I need a hug. A good, solid, rib-crushing hug. *sighs*

No comments: