10.4.04

There are definitely some things that I know I don't suck at. For instance, I know I can sing, and I can sing well, because of both training, and natural talent. I know that.
I also know that I can read, without much difficulty. I'm not sure what asinine means (although, I will look it up post-haste), but most of the time, I understand what I read. Not only that, but I love reading. This morning, for example, I woke up and read a few essays out of a book my english teacher gave me, before listening to the Vinyl Cafe. (Which was particularily amusing this morning, just in case you were wondering).
I've also tried my hand at writing a few times, most recently for academic credit, and I'm pretty good at that too. Some would say I have a way with...ah yes, words.
I took dance lessons for a long time, so I have decent rhythm, and I can whirl an Irish reel or jig with the best of them.
However, I am not so good at applying for jobs. My palms get sweaty, my words awkward, and incoherent. I'm sure I tremble with fear when I ask, "C-c-c-annnn I d-drop off-ff-ff a r-r-r-r-ee-e-sume?"
AIIIYA!!!
And yet, I am a more than capable potential employee! I've worked in the sweetest of jobs (a bakery), the crappiest of jobs (a crack hotel), and the most draining of jobs (a daycare). I have excellent "people skills", I love to help others, I greet customers with a smile; I am amicable, polite, conscientious, and knowledgeable.
WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT TO HIRE ME!??!!!
*sighs*
And yet, as I pass out the resumes, I get only a smattering of interviews, and usually they aren't successful. Strangely enough, it's always the jobs my parents tell me about that end up working out, as was the case with both the bakery, and the ymca.
So if you see a "we're HIRING" sign in a store window, give me a comment. Because I will surely apply, albeit with much fear and trembling.

My friend Bryce has had to interview people for the place where he works. He told me interviewers are just as nervous as interviewees, because they are trying to find the perfect fit for their team. Perhaps my next cover letter should read:
"Dear possible employer,
I know that I would be an excellent employee in your store. I will probably seem nervous when we meet, but don't take that too seriously. It's a difficult thing, applying for work. Please don't reject my application just because I'm a full-time student, and can't work all winter. Surely you've been a student too, and know how important it is to have work when you need it, and time to study when you need that too. Let's interview soon--I'd love to meet you and find out what this possible new-to-me workplace is all about. Sincerely, Melinda."

No comments: