3.10.02

I think I've just had an epiphany.
I wrote an email to Steve, asking him to tell Rebecca (I really hope that's how she spells her name) that I may have a show soon...and she should come when/if I do.
And then I started thinking, "oh man...I gotta find someone else to play with me...I can't do it alo---...or can I?"
I think I need to separate myself artistically from some of my friends, and here is the reason why. Say I look at imr, and the 4 guys in it. They are pretty amazing, and have an incredible bond, and they make *stunning* music. That's kind of intimidating for me to look at, or to feel I have to follow. I mean...to have friends like that, whose success is growing rapidly...and then there's little old me...wondering if people will listen to me and enjoy what I have to offer...or maybe if I had another guitarist or singer or a pianist or a drummer, or a whole band...maybe then I'd be worth listening to.
[melinda wishes to note that it is hard to type out an epiphany that's just barely forming in one's head....]
But I need to realize that I have a gift, and talent, and if/when God is calling me to use it, I need to do that. I don't have to be nervous about playing a solo show just because my friends have a really good band. It's not about a competition, because if it was...I'd never measure up.
I guess...the epiphany was really more of a realization that I need to have confidence in what I'm doing; in the songs I write, the voice I sing with, these hands that strum....once I've got MY show down...then adding more musicians/elements to it will only be icing on a sweet, sweet cake.
9 tracks of acoustic love...a warm blanket of audio sound...life worth listening IS an album worth listening to...
mmm...blanket.
I want people to feel enveloped with love and rest when they come to my shows. I want the crowd to nestle in close and rest.
Mmm...I need a clear vision of how I want my live performances to be.
Essentially, I want the people who are listening, be they friend or stranger, family or neighbour, to feel as if they are sitting on a couch in my living room; warm, snug, with a cup of their favourite beverage in hand, ready to enjoy an evening with old friends.
are you diggin' it?

No comments: