24.10.02

These 2 letters are taken from THEMAIL in Maclean's Magazine, which I have been reading of late, in an effort to become more educated as to the goings on in this fine country/world/etc..or ours.

Letter #1, from the sept.30, 2002 issue.
Bare-bones education
I have finally figured out the Ontario government's game plan for education ["Quick, hide the pencils," The week, Sept.9]. If they keep cutting the budget, reducing teaching staff, etc., they will eventually graduate classes of ignoramuses who don't even know what a government is, never mind how one works. Then the government will rule forever because no one will be educated enough to replace it. Until the coup.

my comments: ha! brilliant, no!? And yet so sad because it's true...

Letter #2, from the October 7, 2002 issue.
(no title)
I was 23 when I married in 1958, and by the time I was 27 I had three babies. I hated every minute away from my babies and after a few years decided to stay home, with the result that we did without many items couples now deem essential. In many instances financial necessities force both parents to work nowadays. But the argument that it's more difficult to manage on one salary is nonsense. It wasn't easier; our priorities were different. My proudest accomplishment is that all my married children have one parent staying home to rear their school-age offspring during these very important years, despite the financial constraints. In my book, that's success.

my comments: *wiping away a tear* wow. My mum stayed @ home too...and it honestly breaks my heart to know that there are children who will never come home after school to be greated by their parents. It really begs the questions, what are our priorities? We live in such a backward society...we wonder about behavioural problems and violence and all this crap...and yet we practically scorn the stay at home mother, because she's backward in her thinking.
the end.

No comments: